The Miami Marlins completed a three-game sweep of the Chicago Cubs with a 4-3 victory on Sunday afternoon at LoanDepot Park.
The Marlins trailed 3-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning when Luis Arraez hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly off of reliever Keegan Thompson. Garrett Hampson added an insurance run with an RBI double in the bottom of the ninth.
Marlins starter Bryan Hoening allowed two runs and five hits in five innings. He struck out four and walked one.
Cubs starter Justin Steele allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings. He struck out three and walked one.
The Cubs had a chance to tie the game in the top of the ninth inning, but they left the bases loaded with one out.
The Marlins improved to 16-13 on the season. The Cubs fell to 14-13.
- Luis Arraez’s go-ahead sacrifice fly in the eighth inning
- Garrett Hampson’s RBI double in the ninth inning
- Jazz Chisholm Jr.‘s misplayed fly ball in the fourth inning that led to a triple by Seiya Suzuki
- Luis Arraez went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Marlins.
- Garrett Hampson went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Marlins.
- Seiya Suzuki went 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored for the Cubs.
- Justin Steele allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings for the Cubs.
The Marlins will host the Atlanta Braves beginning on Tuesday, following a day off for the club.