The Cleveland Guardians defeated the Miami Marlins 7-4 on Sunday afternoon at Progressive Field to avoid a three-game sweep.
The Guardians jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning on a two-run home run by Josh Naylor and a two-run single by José Ramírez. The Marlins cut the lead to 4-3 in the second inning on a solo home run by Jorge Soler.
The Guardians added two insurance runs in the eighth inning on a solo home run by Naylor and an RBI single by Andrés Giménez.
Guardians starter Logan Allen allowed three runs on six hits over five innings. He struck out five and walked two. Marlins starter Jesus Luzardo allowed four runs on six hits over four innings. He struck out four and walked three.
Guardians closer Emmanuel Clase earned the save for his fifth save of the season.
The Guardians improve to 11-11 on the season, while the Marlins fall to 12-10.
- Josh Naylor homered twice and drove in four runs for the Guardians.
- José Ramírez had two hits and two RBIs for the Guardians.
- Jorge Soler homered for the Marlins.
- Emmanuel Clase earned the save for the Guardians.
- Jesus Luzardo took the loss for the Marlins.