The Miami Marlins lost to the San Francisco Giants 5-2 in 11 innings on Thursday afternoon at loanDepot Park. The Marlins had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the 10th inning, but they were unable to capitalize on a leadoff double by Jesus Sanchez.
The Giants took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning on a solo home run by Brandon Crawford. The Marlins tied the game in the bottom of the second inning on a solo home run by Jazz Chisholm Jr.
The Giants took a 2-1 lead in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI single by Brandon Belt. The Marlins tied the game again in the bottom of the fifth inning on an RBI single by Garrett Cooper.
The game remained tied at 2-2 until the top of the 11th inning, when the Giants scored three runs on a two-run home run by Mike Yastrzemski and an RBI single by Wilmer Flores.
The Marlins had a chance to tie the game in the bottom of the 11th inning, but they were unable to do so. They left two runners on base in the inning.
The loss drops the Marlins to 2-4 on the season. They will continue their series against the Giants on Friday night.
Here are some of the key takeaways from the game:
- The Marlins’ offense struggled to get going against Giants starter Logan Webb. Webb allowed just two runs on five hits over seven innings.
- The Marlins’ bullpen was solid, but they were unable to hold on to the lead in the 11th inning.
- The Giants’ offense was able to come up with big hits when they needed them. Yastrzemski’s home run in the 11th inning proved to be the difference in the game.
- The Marlins will need to find a way to get their offense going if they want to win their next game. They have scored just eight runs in their first four games of the season.
In addition to the key takeaways, here are some other notable events from the game:
- Marlins starter Trevor Rogers allowed two runs on five hits over six innings. He struck out three and walked one.
- Giants reliever Camilo Doval pitched a scoreless 10th inning. He struck out two.
- Giants reliever Jake McGee pitched a scoreless 11th inning for the win. He struck out one.
The Marlins will look to rebound on Friday night when they face the Guardians on Friday evening in Cleveland.