The Miami Marlins defeated the Pittsburgh Pirates 6-4 on June 22, 2023, at LoanDepot Park in Miami, Florida. The Marlins took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on RBI singles by Brian Anderson and Jazz Chisholm Jr. The Pirates tied the game in the top of the third inning on a two-run home run by Bryan Reynolds. The Marlins took the lead for good in the bottom of the third inning on a two-run home run by Jesús Aguilar. The Pirates closed the gap to 4-3 in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI single by Michael Chavis. The Marlins added two insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth inning on a two-run single by Jon Berti.
Starting pitcher Pablo López (5-4) earned the win for the Marlins, allowing three runs on five hits in six innings. Reliever Anthony Bass pitched a scoreless ninth inning for his 11th save of the season. Starting pitcher JT Brubaker (2-6) took the loss for the Pirates, allowing four runs on seven hits in five innings.
The Marlins improved to 33-37 with the win. The Pirates fell to 27-43 with the loss.
- Brian Anderson’s RBI single in the first inning gave the Marlins a 1-0 lead.
- Jazz Chisholm Jr.’s RBI single in the first inning extended the Marlins’ lead to 2-0.
- Bryan Reynolds’ two-run home run in the third inning tied the game at 2-2.
- Jesús Aguilar’s two-run home run in the third inning gave the Marlins a 4-2 lead.
- Michael Chavis’ RBI single in the fourth inning cut the Marlins’ lead to 4-3.
- Jon Berti’s two-run single in the eighth inning extended the Marlins’ lead to 6-3.
- Jesús Aguilar led the Marlins with three hits and two RBIs.
- Bryan Reynolds led the Pirates with two hits and two RBIs.
- Pablo López struck out six and walked one in six innings for the Marlins.
- JT Brubaker struck out five and walked two in five innings for the Pirates.
The Marlins and Pirates continue their series on Wednesday night at LoanDepot Park. The game is scheduled to start at 7:10 PM ET.